I attended the GradIreland Career Fair at the RDS on 13th Oct 2010. It was an excellent event, with over 120 stands, and attended by 7000+ students. Well do to the team at GradIreland for putting on an impressive event.
I presented to a “standing room only” audience of 100+ Graduates, from 3.30 to 4.30. I was very impressed with the numbers that turned up, considering I presented at the end of a very long day. The presentation went well, and well received, judging by the comments afterwards.
The topic was “Standing out in a competitive graduate job market”. Below are some of the key message points.
– Develop an ongoing approach to job search – Build your Personal Brand
– Record your job search activity – Results don’t lie
– If you are not getting your desired results – change!!
– Stop hiding bland CVs and cover letters
– Stop reacting to the job market. Start attacking it proactively! (80/20 rule)
– Inject creativity when stuck on “M50 of the job market” (advertised jobs).
– Implement “VISIBILITY” strategies to access the hidden jobs.
– Become LinkedIn & SM Savvy.
– Become the “King of Networking”
– Become a salesperson – be able to sell yourself.
Thanks a million to everyone who made the effort to attend my presentation. And thanks to GradIreland for inviting me to talk at the event. Feel free to post comments below.